Roma: Bertinelli, 1853. Folios, two volumes; VG; bound in 3/4 vellum. marbled boards, burgundy labels with gilt lettering to spines; mild wear and rubbing to boards; some mild foxing, primary to page edges; wide margins; volume 1 with frontispiece and two maps on double leaf, volume 2 includes fifty plates, also on double leaf, depicting mainly plans, elevations and topographical views of Roman antiquities; shelved case 7.
Shelved Dupont Bookstore
Price: $1,500 save 20% $1,200
Luigi Canina, 1795-1856, was Italian architect and archeologist. He was a pupil of Ferdinando Bonsignore in Turin, and settled in Rome in 1818. He became professor of architecture at Turin, and his most important works were the excavation of Tusculum in 1829 and of the Appian Way in 1848, the results of which he embodied in a number of works published in a costly form by his patroness, the queen of Sardinia. In 1843, he was elected into the National Academy of Design as an Honorary member. Canina is also noted for his studies of history and archeology: Ancient architecture described and represented in documents (1830–44). A column opposite the basilica of Saint Sebastian on the Appian Way close to Rome records Canina's work in rescuing many Roman ruins and turning the road into the archeological park that it is today. [wikipedia]