London: Printed for G. G. and J. Robinson, 1795. First Edition. Quarto, viii, 1132 pages; VG; bound in contemporary calf, newly rebacked with paneled leather spine, black label with gilt titling; two volumes rebound into one, second title page not present; marbled endpapers, removed bookplate from front pastedown; scattered and sparse pencil marginalia; with two plates showing various apparatus and two folding tables of Chemical symbols in rear; shelved case 10.
Shelved Dupont Bookstore
William Nicholson (1753-1815) was a renowned English chemist and writer on "natural philosophy" and chemistry, as well as a translator, journalist, publisher, scientist, inventor, patent agent and civil engineer. In May of 1800 he, with Anthony Carlisle, discovered electrolysis, the decomposition of water into hydrogen and oxygen by voltaic current. A Dictionary of Chemistry was remarkable in its use of some French chemical symbols, giving them a double page table with elements generally represented by marks within a circle, and compounds having square or triangular symbols.